ROLE TITLE Home Manager
ROLE PURPOSE To manage the home and support, supervise and manage its staff in order to ensure that the home is run in a way which maximises the potential for resolving young people’s problems and encourages their healthy development. The Manager ensure that all legal requirements are met and that the standards within the home exceed the expectations of the registration authority.
HOURS: 40h per week, mixed over days, evenings and weekends to meet the needs of the home
ORGANISATIONAL Accountable to Senior Management and
- To provide an environment which is conducive to young people with challenging behaviour and learning disabilities, and manage the home effectively to ensure that the children are looked after professionally and appropriately in a warm, caring and therapeutic environment, consistent with company policy, service sector objectives and purchasing requirements.
- Manage and select staff to ensure that appropriate professional standards and behaviours are observed throughout the staff team by establishing appropriate internal policies, practices and procedures, and ensuring professional/personal development takes place.
- Manage and control the expenditure of resources allocated to the home so that budgets are kept within cash limits. Maintain effective administrative and record keeping systems including to ensure sound management practice and to facilitate communications.
- To provide management returns to the company, so that effective monitoring of quality and resources can be achieved.
- Participate in research and provide regular management information and other reports to assist with planning and continuous improvement of the residential childcare service; to contribute as required to the business planning process.
- Responsible for effective liaison with operational managers in purchasing / fieldwork, ensuring that a coherent approach is adopted towards childcare planning for children within the home.
- Be responsible for the maintenance of the buildings and grounds and that safe systems of work are adhered to. Ensure that conditions are both safe and healthy and that the environment is pleasant, comfortable and homely.
- Liaise with outside bodies and relevant individuals as necessary to ensure the efficient running of the establishment and service delivery to children within the home.
- To assist the residential workers in their role regarding planning reviewing and monitoring the progress of the young people in their care, including all associated administration.
- In conjunction with the Company Directors and the Operational Management, assist the residential workers to make use of the opportunities put in place for them to develop their skills and acquire the necessary experience to deliver a high quality service.
- To cover “Senior-on-Call” duties and to provide advice, guidance and support for staff during emergency crises within the homes.
- To participate in company recruitment.
- To ensure that when recruiting staff, and also subsequently, that the company’s equal opportunities policy is scrupulously followed.
- To ensure that the company’s policies and procedures are followed, and make recommendations if they require up-dating or changing.
- To assess potential referrals, ensuring that the home has the ability to offer the appropriate level of care before accepting young people into the home.
- To ensure that registration criteria are met, and that all relevant legislation is followed, both in the spirit as well as in the letter.
- To ensure that the care plan and daily records are updated as required, that all entries are of a sufficient quality, with no ambiguity or inappropriate entries.
- To ensure that the post holder remains professionally updated, and identifies appropriate training opportunities to further improve practice.
- To actively liaise with local schools / colleges of further education or alternative education provisions to ensure that the appropriate education and training is afforded to both young people and staff, with a particular emphasis on NVQ and vocational training.
- To ensure that the home is kept in a clean and tidy condition, encouraging the children to participate as appropriate.
- To ensure that the children are supplied with nutritious meals, following the supplied menu cycle taking into account their dietary and cultural needs.
- Ensure health and safety legislation is followed.
This is a description of the job as it is constituted at the date shown. It is the practice of this company periodically to examine job descriptions, update them and ensure that they relate to the job performed, or to incorporate any proposed changes. This procedure will be conducted by the appropriate manager in consultation with the post holder.
In these circumstances, it will be the aim to reach agreement on reasonable changes, but if agreement is not possible, management reserves the right to make changes to your job description following consultation.
Other duties and responsibilities expressed and implied which arise from the nature and character of the post within the company mentioned above or in a comparable post in any of the company’s other areas.
*Whilst this job description accurately reflects the main duties and responsibilities of the post, it is not exhaustive, and the post holder will be expected to take on any other duties that may reasonably be delegated from time to time.